Old 07-25-22, 01:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Those that have little else going in their lives that they have the time and inclination to read through my wordy missives on bike tours planned and persued may remember the 2019 Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley. 7 brave souls decided that a late February bike tour in Oregon was something they couldn't pass up after spending most of the winter huddled up "safely indoors, insulated from the elements, growing belly fat and dreaming of warmer days" as @northbend wrote a few years back. We were lucky and hit a late winter window of three consecutive sunny days. It was cold, but we dressed properly and had a great time. This time we're betting that there won't be a heat dome over the PNW, so hot that our tires would melt into gooey asphalt and causing heat exhaustion. Word was sent out to the original 8 (one dropped out at the last minute due to injury), some said yea, some nay, others were invited. Cheap, skanky motel rooms were reserved, two to a room, and Amtrak tix were reserved for the 3 hour ride back. We'll take a leisurely 3 days to travel 160 miles. There's a good chance that beer will be on the menu both lunch and dinner like it was Cino Lite.

Almost all will be sporting vintage bikes because, well, we're all of a certain vintage and either don't know any better, or firmly believe nothing could improve on bicycles built before 1987. Besides, this is essentially a flat ride, you could do it on a 3 speed (many have).

I'm always amazed at how many people I can cajole into doing these bike tours I've organized. Right now I've got 8 booked for the full monty, with one more that will ride 2 of the days, and another that will meet us at or near Corvallis for the third day and assume harbor pilot duties
I'd go if I were there.