urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I just sent an email to the CEO of DHL Canada a series of photos of what one of their drivers did. I sent it to him because I looked all over the DHL site and googled but could not find the appropriate department to send this kind of complaints to. Online complaints are only about delivery of packages so you need a tracking number.
So I asked the CEO to forward the email to the appropriate department just to remind their drivers to check for cyclists in the bike lane before making their turns.
Did they respond? I got a close pass from a Fed Ex truck on camera, but figured nobody would care about it. Plus it wasn't terribly close like the one in this thread.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO sharing roads isn't like playing horseshoes, in that close doesn't count.

I'm very used to close passes, and much more concerned about speed. My preference is that motorists slow down as they come up behind me, and once they do, I'm OK with close passing when the situation dictates it.

One thing I'd like to see is for states to clarify rules about crossing center lines, including double yellows when passing slow moving vehicles. If drivers weren't paranoid about being ticketed, they might be more willing to move over farther.
I agree with this. Cars a foot away going 5-10 mph faster than me are fine. In this case, the car was going at least the speed limit of 45mph (probably faster) and I doubt there was even a full foot between us. Even that didn't scare me so much as when I reviewed the footage and saw that the car was actually directly behind me while accelerating. You know if that truck drifted over any more, the driver would have picked the softer choice (i.e. me) to crash into.

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Agreed, mostly. I am not comfortable with a vehicle within two feet of me.
Gimme a couple of feet and I'm a happy camper
Agreed as well. The comfortable margin gets smaller as the speed differential goes down. Heck, I pull to the left at red lights so cars can slowly squeeze by inches away to make a right turn on the red. Some even roll their window down to thank me.