urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Cars/trucks overtaking cyclists from behind is absolutely the #1 risk factor, hands down.

This is exactly why I try to keep my speed up in the city (18mph+) and strive to never lead a pack of cars/trucks off a red light. Running the lights and cycling in the gaps created by the lights is a great technique. Bright rear lights, rear view mirrors, assertiveness when warranted, and even pulling off to the side to let a stream of traffic pass safely all work as well. My old city commute was 10 miles long. Some days I could acquire ZERO passes, and often single digit passes. I rode a single speed with low gearing on that route a couple times, with a high speed of 12-14mph. I got passed 100 times. Which technique is safer? I know which one made me feel safer - zero passes. And I'm still here above ground after 45 years of handling my biz that way.
I only have about 30 years to your 45 with no car incidents to date, but every study I have read says the most common car/bike accidents are at intersections and driveways, t-bones and right/left hooks.