Old 11-21-22, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have had $460 worth of racks (current replacement value) attached to my bike continuously (except when removed for boxing) for years. And I lock my bike outside in the big city. As long as your racks are not easily removeable (e.g., you can't get them off quickly without tools) and you don't do something stupid, like leave your bike out overnight, I think your racks are safe. Even if you were to leave your bike out overnight, I think the chances of racks going missing are pretty slim.

Cue the "There is a thief lurking behind every lamppost to seat anything" crowd.
Your racks are long gone, I replaced them with a 1:1 scale picture of your racks on the bike. I look surprisingly like a lamppost...LOLOLOL

If I were a thief I wouldn't go after the racks I want the whole damn bike I can get the rack and so much more. I have never really worried about racks when locking up and like Indy I wouldn't keep my bike out overnight but if I did they would if the bike was still there probably still be on the bike. Wheels maybe gone if not locked up properly lights probably yeah but a bolt on rack I doubt anyone would steal. As a commuter and touring cyclist I find racks really handy but I don't see them as high value items for thieves because they require work to get off and are probably not going to sell for as much. Maybe I am wrong but I just don't feel like they are a wanted item for thieves.