View Single Post
Old 10-22-21, 07:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
That sounds like a solid plan for separating the blue and white. I just wanted to make sure you understood that it can be a challenge. Practicing so you can figure out how to overcome difficulties will help insure a good finished product. The painting learning curve never flattens out, it just gets less steep and then they change paint formulas and your curve steepens again. Good luck.

It worked! At least it looks very good. Thanks again Doug for taking the time to helping me out!

The pic below is the base paint before the 2k Clear Glamour topcoats.

The day was getting long(about 4:30, 3 days ago) and I was fighting the temp..dropping. It was about 67-68 degrees when I shot the last coat of white (painted blue first, then white). Probably due to the temp, but I had a slight "pull" of the white paint at the downtube-headtube joint that showed blue through the white. (I touched it up with a artist's brush..can't even see the touch up now.) Otherwise, everything else looked good. I stopped at that point and didn't shoot the clear coats. Since I stopped..I figured I might as well apply the decals. The next day it was dry, warm(70), and windless so did the decals and shot the clear(3+ coats, 2 cans on frame and fork). It went well.

Total, all custom-mixed/loaded automotive rattle can-Spray Max paint schedule: 2K epoxy primer, 3 coats blue basecoat where needed, 3 coats white basecoat where needed, 3+ coats Glamour Clear-gloss. Paints applied at 68-70 degrees, 50-60% humidity. 20 minutes between paint coats, 5-7 minutes between clear coats. One hour wait after final basecoat application before I taped it up with regular(house painting) green painters tape for spacing & reference marks and vinyl automotive tape for final masking (to yield crisp paint lines). Masked(blue) areas-lines had the (vinyl) tape pulled off about 10 minutes after the final white basecoat application. Respirators aside..working with automotive-grade paints is a pleasure. Very fast setup to tack-free and the fresh paint held up perfectly to tape without pulling off.

Overall..I'm very happy with it. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. 1000% better than when I started. I'm reassembling the bike now. I'll post some pics when I get it done..

(The three lines on the top tube are vertical..must be a camera distortion that makes them look angled)

Likes For fishboat: