Old 05-03-20, 09:19 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
First paycheck from the bike shop...and the money is cool. For those of you unfamiliar with low to medium end bikes in a modern bike shop, let me just say, I love riding my bike home.

I have to test ride and burn in the brakes on everything I build so I kind of have a feel for the bikes, and really I just like my bikes better. I usually ride in my moto but sometimes ride the bob jackson.
Anyway my big takeaway on disc brakes is that cable actuated cheap ones are a

bout equivalent to cheap v brakes. Different but not better. Most of the hydraulics are pretty nice but i hate what they do to a bike frame. Besides weinman centerpulls get me to and from work in the rain just fine.

The guys I work with are great, one is my son, the head mech is incredibly knowledgeable and the guy that owns the shop aint bad either. The concrete floors aggravate my sciatica if im not careful so i was told to come in when want and go home when i need to. Hard to believe i get paid too.

Oh yeah, the discount on parts rocks!
Anti-fatigue mats will be helpful. Here's one of many on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHHLWXC..._fD4REbN9QF0K9

It runs about $30. Your employer may even get you one if you ask.

I'm a programmer and have a sitting/standing mechanical desk at the office. My company bought everyone similar mats for when we use our desks in standing configuration. I'm certain that something like this will help you, being on your feet all day. Also, consider the essential piece of equipment for hospital doctors, nurses, and physical therapists: Some really comfortable cross-training shoes. I know that's not cool for cyclists, but for someone on his feet all day, they'll make a difference.

I can see where it could be fun working in a bike shop. Every job is a job, with its good days and mediocre days. But in a mom-and-pop bike shop, I imagine there would be a lot of good days. A lot depends on the ownership and management style.