Old 09-29-21, 04:09 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Sounds like you've got some idiosyncratic issues, so there's only so far advice from us in the peanut gallery can be trusted. Agree that 4-5 interval workouts is too many—or they're too low intensity to be helpful.

Have you had a bike fitting? It sounds like your problem is bigger than a fitting will solve, but it might help.
I have had multiple fittings in the last couple years. The latest has lead to the installation of 145mm cranks to reduce the hip rock. I think it has helped, but isn’t the magic bullet.

While I’m using what I can from the medical community, I don’t discount what I can learn from others who have had a similar journey. I’m learning on the fly here. Recently I went on a 5 day 600 mile tour. I wanted to see how my body would react to long distance, but slower, low impact cycling. My back reaction was interesting. The first 80 miles I had slight sciatic pain down the left leg(normal for me the last several months)then for some reason, it switched to the right leg. And then it was gone for the duration of the ride. By day 4 I had a tightness/pain in the lower back when I stood. Fairly Ok on the bike or laying down. Solved this by stopping at a convenience store, grabbing a bag of ice and laying on it for 10 minutes. Then upon leaving put 3 s baggies of ice in my back jersey pockets. So in the end the ride helped my back immensely. On a side note, allergies can kick my butt on rides, and I battled congestion and such for most days. The day I got home, I lost my sense of taste and smell. Covid. I’m vaxed. Went on the Drs. Meds, which included HCQ. Doc said during a long convo, that HCQ also has some arthritis benefits. After a slightly tough first day, I’ve felt the best I’ve felt in a long time. I quarantined, but as a farmer I could still work. Very productive days. Now I’m wondering now what I do with this latest experience? More long slow rides? HCQ regiment? More info to sort through.