View Single Post
Old 07-11-20, 04:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
For kids that tend to fall off bicycles by tipping to the side, helmets do provide protection. For mountain bikers that sometimes bang their heads into trees and low hanging branches, they provide some protection, mostly abrasion protection. For adults riding faster than their 5 year olds speed, the helmet is just makes money for the manufacturer.

I have never split my head open road cycling with near daily commute riding since 1982, I learned how to fall in gym tumbling classes.
Yeah. My first helmet made $35 for Bell (and about half that for the replacement), thousands for the local hospital and the local morgue was cut out of the action completely. I've paid taxes ever since. That helmet, the most expensive thing I ever put on a bike.

Actually, that first helmet made hundreds for Bell. In the following years, I used to go into area bikeshops I'd never been in before, go to the newly set up helmet display and wait for the salesman to come over and tell me about my accident. Never failed, It was kinda fun.

Ben