Old 06-07-21, 01:04 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
You did have pressure in the tire when you rolled the tires around, right? I'm not always a tubeless fan, but most of mine seat with just a regular floor pump (talking gravel and MTB here though, not road). Once the beads are seated, I deflate, remove the valve core, add sealant through the stem, reinstall the valve core, reinflate and then spin the wheels in my hand. Deflating should definitely NOT unseat the bead, it should require some force to unseat the bead if you want to remove the tire. I'd say you have either a bad tire/wheel combo or a defective rim if the tires just slides off the bead.
Nope…no pressure in the tire when I rolled it. Never occurred to me that a bead could come free with that little force put on them. I ever so careful rolled the bike 6 feet. I broke the bead on the rear tire by simply touching the sidewall when I was injecting the sealant into the stem.

In some of the videos I watched….there was a loud POP when the beads seated….and in other videos the beads seating sounded like crinkling paper. Don’t know if that had to do with the tires themselves or the design of the rims.

Mine def sounded like crinkling paper when they seated, but if pressure went down too far before I got the presta valve in….the bead would pop off. In theory….a tire bead should NOT dislodge just because of low pressure(tire was hanging on a bike stand).