View Single Post
Old 06-13-21, 10:34 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I thought it was only the forks without tangs that were the death forks. Thus I didn't give a second thought to making my 80 414 into my gravel bike. But I'm an old man, riding only flat ground. I have no other options here. I will keep an eye on it.
This is one of the ones without tangs. The bike is an '82 61x.

Originally Posted by verktyg
Before the advent of cheaply produced unicrown forks, there were some cast steel fork crowns made for MTBs.... If you could find one of those it would be more than adequately wide enough for a 48mm tire.
Right, I rode a Pug Orient Express with a fork crown like that! Great big gothic looking thing, really inspired confidence in the construction.
If I can't find some cool old one, my next thought is as @gugie says, the Pacenti MTB crown. That thing's wider than the tandem crown on my Herse!

Originally Posted by uncleivan
I have a columbus trek fork I'm not using. You would probably need to replace the steer tube as its from a 54cm frame. Let me know if you are interested. I'm local
Ohh, thank you but that's ok. I will keep it in mind but I want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to wider tires!

Last edited by scarlson; 06-13-21 at 01:31 PM.