View Single Post
Old 06-18-21, 08:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
In my experience when reach is correct drop bars are vastly more comfortable than alt bars. When there is too much reach drop bars are usually still manageable whereas alt bars become unbearable.
I've tried a few. I have a Surly bar I don't remember the name of, Koga Denham bars, FSA Metropolis and a few no names.
The reason why I started experimenting with the alt bars in the first place was comfort issues. But it wasn't the bars themselves, it was reach. When I fixed the reach I found that there's nothing inherently uncomfortable in drop bars. In fact, they keep the wrists in a pretty darn good angle and allow for better shock absorbtion at the arms. You also don't need to be aero when using drop bars, they can be raised higher to make a more upright riding position.

The one thing I really dislike about alt bars is the lack of hand positions in general AND the lack of hand positions where one can use the brakes. The denham bar has these horns which supposedly mimic the lever position of a drop bar, so you can be "more aero" in headwinds and whatnot. Yeah nah. For me at least they absolutely do not work.

The one comfort addon drop bars can benefit from is going wider. I have 50cm wide Salsa Cowchipper bars on my DT and they are better for relaxed riding than the more typical 44cm wide drop bars
such good points on dropbars, and how when you get the reach sorted out,and overall height, I too find they are simply the most comfortable for day after day, week after week riding.

oddly enough, I've just put some Jones h bars on my commuter, and find them pretty darn comfortable, and like riding with them.