Old 07-21-21, 08:29 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
So I went to the track for the first time since 2009, the last race I did before the race where I crashed and fractured my pelvis. Okay, got taken out, but whatever.

Anyway, couple riders were there from that era, remembered some of the races we battled. I was good for 500m but not much more so I got shelled in every race. The races were long to get laps for everyone, 24-30 lap races. In the points race they even regrouped after each sprint so it was like 6 scratch races in a row.

In the Australian pursuit I had probably my best chance. In the AP everyone starts evenly spaced around the track, if you pass someone they are out, but if you catch them you have the option of drafting them for a bit before passing them, so it becomes a combination of sprinting at the start to sitting on wheels. Because my good peak power I almost caught the eventual winner within 200m. I actually eased a bit, he looked back, panicked, and hit the afterburners. I think if I'd caught and passed him I'd have been golden, since I'd have eliminated the strongest rider of the night. But I was there to focus on not coasting, making sure my bike was okay, etc, so I was okay just rolling around.

The last time I did the AP I was one of two left, and we were dead even. The other guy Scott was telling the others about it, he said "we were chasing each other around for a while." "How long" "Well, they grilled hotdogs and finished them and we were still going". Not really, but you get the point.

NEV is primitive. They moved the sprint line up so the laps are longer (333m now? was 318m). banking is still half what it should be, 14 deg instead of 28 deg, but with the wider curve you can hold the sprint line much easier.

I only hesitate-coasted once. I could almost sit on wheels (fixed gear is different for me vs freewheel, as far as being comfortable drafting). I ripped out a few hard accelerations and two flying 200s after everyone finished, just to get some sprints in my legs without risking taking out others. Bike felt good, I could lift the front wheel in a hard jump just like my black road bike, which to me is the best. I need bigger gears and/or learn to spin lower gears. I think the latter, if I'm doing timed events.

Kicker was that last night was the best night sleep I've had probably in two years. I don't remember the last time I woke up refreshed. I guess a ~3 hour drive each way plus 3 hours of pedaling around (and a LOT of max efforts) will wear me out.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: