Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What % FTP are you targeting for the on/off portions? Can you share? I'd like to attempt these at some point.
Everyone will have an opinion on these. 30/30 can be structured in different ways depending on the goals. They can be great for crits where one could go really hard on the 30 on and very easy on the 30 off. Or they can be used for VO2 work and building threshold. The coach I use in LA for track loves these. He claims the Russians developed the concept and it is the most productive to build threshold power. The theory is that after the 30 on segment, the body has an overshoot such that the benefit of the "on" segment keeps accruing during the "off" segment so that one is effectively training VO2 during the entire time.

I set the upper limit a 120% FTP and the lower segment high tempo. I have done these before at 130 to 140% FTP. But then the lower set point has to be a lot lower or recovery. Adjusting the set point to ANO2 versus VO2 will generate a lot of fatigue so for this time of year. 120% was plenty. Also, these are typically done as 2x(3x10' 30/30) with 4'RBI and 10' rest between sets - an hour of VO2 work. I only had time for one set and if I were doing a second set, I would set the upper limit to maybe 115%. These work great on Fiesta since many times an interval gets interrupted by traffic or whatever and with these if there is an interruption, it is no big deal and easier to manage and stay safe.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-02-18 at 12:43 PM.