Old 07-30-19, 03:40 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Considering a Transplant...

Hello folks,

So I've got a 1986 Club Fuji in pretty great condition that I've been trying to sell for a while now without luck. I only don't really care for it because the frame seems a bit too "factory-ish" for my tastes and I prefer a more handmade look, as well as the feel of Reynolds 531 tubing. However, I found the third-generation Suntour Cyclone 6-speed drive train to be utterly reliable and I'm a big fan of that stuff...

Recently I acquired a 1979 Mercian Campionissimo frame set that I plan to build up with contemporary Suntour components, but I'd have to make a lot of purchases, including a nice 700c wheelset. Suddenly I am pondering the idea of swapping the Cyclone drive train and matching SR hub/Nitto rim wheel set from the Club Fuji onto the Mercian.

I am pretty sure that financially I would come out way on top by doing that, and also only be left with a frame set and a few bits and bobs to sell, and with far fewer purchases to make.

The only downsides to the idea is that the Cyclone 6000 components post-date the Mercian frame by a few years (came out in 1984) and aren't as handsome as the earlier equipment. Also I would feel really bad about ransacking the completely original Club Fuji, but even at $200 it hasn't moved in over a year on local Craigslist or on our own classified section!

Any yays or nays? The arguments against the idea just above seem compelling, but so does the idea of saving money, time, and hanging onto a few of my favorite components.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 07-30-19 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling