View Single Post
Old 02-07-22, 10:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Good to see that, my own big increase makes more sense now. The study I found only had a small increase.

Thanks for pointing out NMN. I read up on it and will be keeping my eye on it .. too little data at this point for me to jump in though. Apparently the gains turn into losses if you stop taking it so you need to be 100% committed before jumping into that pool.

One more fuzzy data point on HMB: the main reason I decided to get on board is I am trying to lower my cholesterol to convince my doc I don't need a statin. I got re-tested last week and my cholesterol dropped by a third, low enough that my doc has green lighted me for no statin. I also changed my diet a lot so hard to say what helped, but my guess is 5-10% of the drop came from the HMB. Note that my levels had been more or less constant for many years so there clearly was something different going on.
The third human trial for NMN has completed, the study results are not yet published. I will be looking for those results, too.

I found a second, similar HMB study on elite athletes showing very, very similar improvements. To put it into context, these aerobic power improvements exceed what pro dopers from a decade ago would gain by increasing red blood cells by 10%, they would only get about 6% improvement in power, which of course can be enough to vault someone to the top in that rarified set of athletes. I never heard of this HMB stuff before.

Whether us oldies can regain some of our zip on the bike remains to be seen or at least I have not yet found aerobic power data on old athletes.

I have been putting NMN into my full fat yogurt each morning for just over 2 weeks. I see it as a fancy, expensive alternative to B3, which I have taken my whole adult life. I am detrained due to a serious accident 5 months ago and the fact it is winter here. I decided to do some hill intervals yesterday. My recent record personal best time on that hill is 2:50. I did 2:56 yesterday on my third repetition, and if I pushed harder, I might have trimmed 2-3 seconds off.
Likes For GhostRider62: