View Single Post
Old 12-12-20, 06:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you! When it comes to charging on a bike, you are the man.
I wish that was not true. It is all self learned because I could not find a few easy to understand sources of information. But I am retired, thus had time to look for this stuff and try to figure it out.

There is a serious lack of information on USB charging from dynohubs out there. This publication has has several articles over the years, but they publish rarely and when they do it is written at a technical level. But some of their information is the best you will find.
https://4aluetprp45eml4ape5b5g3wde--...ranslate.goog/

I think this is still the best dynohub comparison out there, and it is quite a few years old.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...ub-dynamos.pdf

Even with those articles, you are on your own to figure out how to wire it and how much you can expect to get out of it. I paid less than $5 USD for the meter I use to measure output from a USB charger, but those are still hard to find, I got mine on Ebay, shipped from asia, pre-Covid shipping was a month, now often much longer.

So, I wish I was not "the man" on this stuff. There are several electrical engineers or electronic engineers on this forum, but they pretty much write posts intended to be read by their colleagues, not by the general public. I am an engineer by training, but as a geological engineer my electrical training was minimal and I can't understand some of posts on this forum that were written by EEs.