View Single Post
Old 05-24-22, 07:48 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
The campground at Salen had an affordable laundry option. I proceeded to do laundry and chat with others and generally enjoy my time. I was told that tomorrow there is a high wind warning. I chuckled, thinking, every day there was high wind already. What do they mean? I checked the forecast and realized tomorrow the winds were in 40+mph range. Given that I planned a pretty challenging bike ride over the west side of Isle of Mull I decided to abandon. Instead I chose to add extra stakes to my tent pitch and take the bus back to Fionnphort and go to Iona.

The bus was going through a pretty heavy rainstorm but, haleluyah, about 10 miles before Fionnsphort the rain ended and there appeared to be blue skies over Iona. I boarded the ferry and enjoyed the bumpy ride.

I circumnavigated Fiona on foot and the weather held back. The sunshine warmed my wet socks on the rain soaked spungy pasture trail.

Day 13 Stats: Distance 6.52 mi walking, Elev Gain 371 ft

The next day I cycled back to Craigsnure and caught a ferry to Oban. In Oban I did some shopping for family and next day took the train to Dunbarton Station from where I cycled to the Glasgow Airport. I was able to pack my bicycle within an hour and change to non cycling clothes.

Great trip. Planning was right but the weather gods laughed at me. Even natives say the first week of May comes with a heat wave. Well that did not work out for anyone who was around the Hebrides. I left Scotland with a great admiration of the residents of the islands, with a great fondness for the friendlines and sense of humor of the Scottish people and with an experience of awesome bike riding in Scotland (minus the no shoulder roads)