Old 06-29-22, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I get a kick out of guys that clearly take pride in passing me when I'm on a recovery ride or winding down from a long day in the saddle. It's cute that they think I'm working hard and I hate to disabuse them of the notion and rob them of their moment of glory.

I had the funniest race that never was experience along these lines a couple months ago. I was riding on a state highway with a very long straight flat section so I could see very far ahead. I was about 93 miles into a century. For about 2 miles, I could see a lone cyclist who was initially quite some distance ahead of me at first, but I steadily gained on him and then passed him. I had to go on the wrong side of a rumble strip on a 55 mph road to do it so I made sure our speed differential was high before I went into the pass. I announced it and pulled the pass off very quickly (had to time it for the gaps in the rumble strip--I know this road like the back of my hand), at which time he uttered some sort of protest that I couldn't quite make out, except for the word "but". I'm riding at the same 20+ mph pace ahead of him for the next mile or so, then out of nowhere, he's suddenly zipping past me on the wrong side of the rumble strip. All fine except for the fact that we were about 25 feet from a red light when he passed and when we reached it, he actually turned off into a parking lot and hopped off of the bike panting like an overheated sheepdog, but giving me his version of a triumphant glare. I think I managed to stifle my laughter until I was actually past him. Didn't want to spoil his imaginary glory.
Likes For livedarklions: