aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Well, here's an update:

Wheels:
Ended up picking Campagnolo Zondas. With skewers, they came it just over 1700g. Nice looking wheels, and spin up faster than the Vision wheels.

Drivetrain:
Picked SRAM Force 22 for shifters and front/rear derailleurs. The shifter weight (~100g less than Ultegra) was nice, but really I just wanted to try something different, given that I have Ultegra 8000 on the Lynskey and Ultegra 6500 (9-spd) on the Bianchi.

Brakes:
Found some SRAM Force AXS rim brakes on eBay for about half the cost of an online dealer. so went with those. So not quite matching, but you'd really have to be a stickler to notice the difference. And besides, the gunmetal AXS brakes match the black/grey of the frame better than the chromed Force (non AXS) brakes would have.

Crank:
Picked the Praxis Zayante-S. Reviews on the SRAM Force crank were that it wasn't anywhere near as good as the Ultegra from a shifting and stiffness perspective, so cast my net wider and found the Praxis. At 640g, it's lighter than the SRAM option, and feels reasonably stiff - though it doesn't look nearly as bulletproof as the Ultegra crank (can't tell if there's more flex just by feel). Shifting is good, though I may want to play with the setup of the shifter a bit (SRAM's throw seems a bit long to get the chain up to the big ring).

Cockpit:
Got a good deal on a Fizik R1 Bull carbon bar, and matched it with a good deal on an R3 stem at 120mm. The stem is a stem, and nothing fancy, but the carbon bar is about 120g lighter than a reasonable alloy bar. The lighter bar and Force shifters definitely made that bit feel a lot lighter than the FSA alloy bar and Ultegra shifters on the Lynskey. Ended up with an Ultimate USE carbon post, which at 130g is a smidge lighter than the Thomson Masterpiece on the Lynskey. Total length is longer (270mm), but usable length appears pretty close between the two.

Tires:
I initially threw two spare tires on - an old Vittoria Zaffiro 23mm in the back, and a new Conti Ultra Sport 2 28mm in the front. The Conti wouldn't fit past the rim brakes (it really inflates closer to 32mm), so I had to put my last Conti GP4k on there.

Pedals:
When did SPD pedals get so expensive? I got some M520s (or something along those lines) from Amazon a couple of years ago for $40, now they require double that? Anyway, went with the Look X-Track again, same as the Lynskey. No, they're not light or sexy, but SPD retains compatibility across my other bikes, and they were $55 shipped.

All said and done, she comes in at 18.06 lbs, and if I wanted to swap out for lighter pedals or latex tubes, she'd be under 18lbs. Rides well, though I'm not a fan of the Force brake lever shape - it feels like my fingers would slide off more easily. The big difference I notice about going back to cable pull rim brakes is lever feel - in the dry, both the Ultegra disc on the Lynskey and the mechanical rim on the Cannondale stop well, but the hydraulics make you feel like you're pulling on something much higher quality with nicer hand feel.

The 11-28 cassette is weird coming from the 11-34, but once you get used to it, it's much easier to find a pedaling rhythm on mostly flat terrain - unlike the 11-34, this cassette has a 14 and 16 (along with the 13, 15, and 17), so the gaps are as small as they can reasonably be.

Haven't taken her on bad roads yet, but the ride quality doesn't seem bad. Not as planted and 'Mercedes" feeling as the Lynskey, but nowhere near as harsh as I was expecting an aluminum Cannondale to be. Of course, my last ride on a C-Dale was on a rental from 2004, so a lot's changed from both the frame (much more shaped tubing) and cockpit (mostly carbon) perspective.

And here she is:
Likes For aliasfox: