Old 09-16-21, 10:07 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I know your intentions are pure, in asking this question. But similar threads in the past have drawn some abuse, because it's really an impossible list to construct. These road bikes were produced in steel versions at the higher end of the marketplace for many, many years. They evolved somewhat, so the 70's frames are different from the 80's frames, in terms of geometry and handling. Likewise, the components with which they were equipped managed a simlar evolution over the years, up until the 90's when plastic, reinforced with carbon fiber and aluminum alloy became the fashion.

Your best bet is to figure out the handling and componentry you like, which may or may not have something to do with when the bike was originally made and sold, then scan your local Craigslist for example, in your size, of higher end bikes from any manufacturer that meet your preferences.

There is a link up in the C+V stickies to many of the old catalogs that are available online, so you can figure out where a particular bike fits in the hierarchy for that year. Good luck I have a couple of Cinelli's and a Bob Jackson I think are very nice. Those might not be what show up in your size, and it might turn out you prefer indexed shifting.
This thread is purely for fun and personal preference. I have no interest in any heated debates on which one are subjectively superior, just personal desires and opinions. BTW I much prefer friction for durability and simplicity.