View Single Post
Old 05-18-22, 09:41 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
The Mondia got another 12 miles on last night. Which brings the mile total 43 miles.

The Green Gitane, I found a couple more freewheels. One being Shimano and the other is Suntour, the Suntour appears to have lower profile in the spacing. I have not been able to check. If the Shimano clears I'll use the '68 Simplex rd, if not then I will replace the '68 with an early 80's Simplex long cage claw rd. I have no qualms of putting the fantastic plastic back to the box o' poo. As it stands, no miles, still needs cup removed. I may end up bringing the Gypsy to Charles at Wright Bros. I know he has the VAR tools.

A new black beast, unlabeled, paint beat to poop, serial numbers filed off, rusty outside, the signs off life inside, fillet brazed rear triangle, a Schwinn Paramount. So me being who I am with, what at times seams like, Mountains of Crap have decided to put some pedals to the metals. Here it is the Cadillac of Schwinn now a Junkyard wars combatant.

The headset looks great on the outside, looked really bad inside. However the ball track is clear from the rust, is now rebuilt and ready to go. Off the rack in garage I pulled an old 27" wheelset, low flange Campy hubs on Matrix rims. These rims are almost identical to the Wobler Super Champion, with hook bead. The rear wheel has gotten some attention to address some minor damage. The rear has a tiny bit of hop, I don't think it will noticeable. Tires have been mounted, brand new Kenda 27-1 1/4". The tries were from a bike that was given to me from the Road Warrior, omg his bikes are real crap. Here's the donor.

It's a Tiger, I posted it for sale under parts, I got a good bite but the potential was not a mechanical and would have paid more for me to cable up. Nah screw that, I may give this to the Bikery coop they are good at finding a spot for this type of transient.

Here is the Cadillac of all Schwinn.

I have had the frame a week $20, the wheels have been on the hook not a long time 4-5years were $35, roughly $15 for the stem bars and seatpost. Currently sporting Suntour ratchet shifter and GT-vluxe rear from a trashy street find of many moons ago. I do have Weinman red button quick release levers to go with the 610-750 calipers, as a take off from a MKM purchase last winter.

I don't think I'll be able conquer the $108 budget but it will be close.