Old 06-21-22, 06:19 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Rumor says that the guy who went overboard and drowned in the A2B was wearing an inflatable pfd, but was not clipped in. That doesn’t reduce my sympathy for the crew who had to recover him and are currently days away from land with his body, his family and friends, or his terrible last moments. My guess is he thought, “hey, it’s daytime and I’m just going forward to fix that one quick thing, so I’ll unclip from my secure place in the cockpit won’t bother re-clipping up there…”. I have had that thought too and I’m going to try not to have it anymore.

Modern tethers are doubled so you can be attached at all times, but people get lazy. It’s no magic bullet, but at least your body will be easy to find.

When we were in Telluride last August, my kids hiked the Via Ferrata and used tethers that were double ended. Just a week before a woman unclipped for a picture "without the tethers showing." She fell. A long way.

I'm not sure I could be on a boat for days with a corpse, much less one that was a friend. Talk about having to HTFU.