View Single Post
Old 09-06-21, 07:16 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
It could be the lack of battery life. It sucks.

It could be the lack of on-device A to B navigation. So your routes can only be preprogrammed from your computer at home.

It could be the lack of point of interest or address search ability. So it's not much of an exploring tool either. Good luck using the Explore to find a random coffee or bike shop.

It could be the lack of on-device back-to-start calculation. So if you get turned around, you can't use the Explore to navigate back to where you started.

It could be the lack of on-device round trip course creation. Again, not much of a navigation tool.

The Explore doesn't have an ambient light sensor. So the screen brightness won't/can't be automatically adjusted to save battery life.

It could be the Explore is limited to only the United States GPS satellite system. Using the Russian GLONASS or European Galileo systems for increased location resolution or signal durability is not possible. IOW: good luck with good data under heavy tree cover, next to a mountain or valley wall.

The Explore doesn't support VIRB. If you are someone who has a camera on your bike for action-cam or traffic safety reasons, & would like to control it with a central head unit, this is not the head unit for you.

With the Explore, you can not read/respond to text messeges unless you stop riding & check your actual phone. With other devices a simple screen tap either dismisses the messege or allows a canned response.

With the Explore, you also lose the ability to reject a phone call with a canned text (Android™ only.) Again, this means you have to stop riding & take the phone call with your actual phone or just let it ring in your jersey pocket until the offending caller gives up. (Hella irritating.)

If you are someone who uses a Garmin (or Wahoo, or others) as a training tool, either indoors on a trainer or outside: With an Explore, you can not create advanced workouts (create custom, goal-oriented workouts.) You can't set up Interval training. You can't download a training plan.

The Explore won't do V02 max estimate.

You can't race against a Virtual Partner® (train against a digital person as this is not offered.

Recovery Advisor, & Training Effect (aerobic) aren't available either. Neither is Heart rate-based calorie computation or FTP Tracking. So, the Explore is kind of useless for seeing how hard you exerted yourself in an activity or as a training tool of any kind, really.

If you are someone who travels out of cell phone range or does any sort of long distance ultra-endurance competition: The Explore is not InReach® compatible. Your dot-watchers will not see you crashed & rescue will not be coming. Neither will your satellite comms be showing on the Explores' screen. That means stopping the race to read & respond to the satellite messege...a (sometimes 10-15) minutes long process.

The Explore is not Power meter compatible.

I'm sure I missed a detail or two, but I think my overall point stands: The Explore is really kind of worthless as a cycling computer. It doesn't support even the most basic of features or abilities Edge or Wahoo users take for granted...I'm actually stuck wondering what it is useful for that a $50 cell phone from the Best Buy isn't better at.

Last edited by base2; 09-06-21 at 08:21 AM.
Likes For base2: