Old 09-23-21, 10:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
IMO, social media and the internet are the worst places to get medical advice. I have made it a practice not to recommend anything to friends. It is like no good deed goes unpunished. What I think is good and valuable, they think is over priced and whatever. Having said that, when I lived in NorCal, I used a Standford Hospital Cardiologist and now in SoCal, a Scripps Clinic cardiolgist. My mom has A-fib and I get odd rhythms. Besides standard stuff like Echos, stress tests and ECG, they used this https://www.irhythmtech.com/?utm_ter...hoCyfQQAvD_BwE

This device accurately records two weeks worth of heart rate data. There is a button on the device to push if you feel any symptoms. You press the button and log your impression on a mobile app. The mobile app data along with the recorded heart rate data is sent to a company that prepares a report for the cardiologist. I do everything I would normally do including race, gym and etc.

Two weeks of recording captures all the possible matters and they will find any strange or dangerous rhythms. After a few days, it starts to itch. Drove me a little nuts and glad to remove it. It is amazing what a benign premature beats or extra beats can do to generate strange symptoms. It is good to know that all is good or to the contrary, action must be taken.

Cardiology check ups are just part of grinding along like colonoscopies and prostate exams. No big deal and the earlier a problem is diagnosed the better. Good luck and go now.
I understand and I wasn't soliciting medical advice, more just sniveling. It is nice to hear from other cyclists, the people who may have similar experiences.

The last time my primary doc wanted me to get the wearable monitor but the insurance said no. Since it resolved itself then I was hoping it would again. I haven't had a lot of success with doctors in the past, with some exceptions of course.
Likes For big john: