View Single Post
Old 05-29-10, 07:26 PM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I acquired a couple of mixte frames for the purpose of welding one to the back of a me-sized bike to make a tandem for me and the little guy. He's 3&1/2 now and getting enthusiastic about us riding together on our bikes. He needs to learn the coaster brake better though. Then the [mercenary] donor laid more bikes on me and so I have 5 or 6 mixte frames...

He's getting old enough to want to be part of the peddling business and it helps to keep warm. The bicycle industry has not yet developed a lot of high quality solutions to this transition period between swaddling the baby in many layers of fleece inside a waggon and letting him sleep en route - to full on peddling and staying warm in all weathers. There are people in our town who still follow the bizarre practice of enclosing their children in multi-tonne steel and glass high-rolling-resistance-wheel-ed containers to ferry them from place to place endangering and be-smogging the rest of us meanwhile. It can be rather off-putting.

I haven't seen a good quality and affordable tandem come available here in the last few months or so. Pretty rare birds around here. Did Raleigh ever make a tandem?