cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Don't want an abortion, don't get one, don't tell me I shouldn't have one.
Don't like gay marriage, then don't marry your boyfriend, don't tell me who to marry.
Don't want a gun, don't buy one, don't tell me I shouldn't have one.
Don't want to eat meat, don't eat it, don't tell me I shouldn't eat it.
Don't want a car, don't buy one, don't tell me I shouldn't own one.
You want to praise Jesus, have fun, don't tell me I need your religion.

See how that works. Do whatever you like, just quit preaching about it.

When you try to tell others how to live and advocate that your way is better and that they don't know what is best for themselves, then I have a negative reaction.
When you have an abortion, marry your same sex partner or reject the loving salvation offered by Jesus, it has no effect on me, causes me no harm or concern, and I couldn't care less. I would not think for a moment it is any of my business.

But when you (the generic you, not you specifically) drive, it does affect me - I have to breathe your exhaust, I have to worry you might accidentally crash into me, I'm expected to subsidize the roads you use even though my own use (including indirect use like having goods delivered), might be far below yours, and I have to live with the strife caused by oil conflicts and the damage to the environment. So I have no objection to you driving per se, I'm just objecting to the part that harms me, or other people or the environment. Get rid of that and I won't say a word about you driving all you want.
Likes For cooker: