Old 10-17-18, 04:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
As far as the canoeing goes, I live near a river and there is storage for enthusiasts to put their craft in a building that is also a yacht club. If necessary, I could choose that option instead of storing two craft -- one a single, the other large canoe -- plus two sail boards at home, and maybe using a motor vehicle to move them for water use.
I had a launch about 20 minutes walk from my house. I pulled a kayak on a folding kayak dolly to the launch, then strapped the dolly to the deck while paddling. I could also pull the kayak for 20 minutes behind a bicycle to a different place. I just got bored with those two places and a 30 minute car trip would produce some much more interesting places to paddle. So YES, I can do it, just not worth it in the long run. Certainly I can, and do rent cars but there are rules about strapping boats to them. Were you insinuating that I am not smart enough to figure out how do do things? Shame.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So you would want/need one [car] if you were rich?
Would I NEED one in the sense that I NEED to keep my health insurance premiums and doctors paid? No. Do I WANT one based on the fact that I have no place to park one where I live? No thanks. BUT...if I were RICH, I could pay to park the car in a private garage out of the weather and away from thieves and vandals, afford to insure a decent, dependable car with full coverage so I could lend it to car-free friends (I still would not use it enough to make the car happy). I would LOVE to have a dependable car at hand anytime I wanted one. No doubt. Need? Does my next-door neighbor NEED a pickup truck? He's not a farmer. But he has one.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Good point. I was thinking that the activities mentioned are often done in groups.
Kayaking alone on a moonless clear night in the swamp is awesome. One other QUITE person is OK. I used to kayak on Lake Fausse in Lake Fausse Pointe State Park and pick a cold, clear, calm night. If I was careful with my paddle strokes to not stir the water too much it felt like floating in outer space, as the stars were reflected perfectly under me in the water. Literally surrounded on all sides by stars. The lake was just large enough to not see the shoreline from near the middle. A religious experience that company could not improve upon. And realize that I biked across the USA five times solo, self contained. I am not in need of constant companionship like most people. Except for scuba diving, I'm going alone.

Originally Posted by Rootman
Drive in movies
You still have drive in movies near you???