View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 04:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We don’t. I know that sounds funny, but it’s how I was raised.
I was raised with the tree going up on Christmas Eve. This worked out okay for Dad, because where I grew up, you go to a local farmer who set aside orchard space for Christmas trees, and you find one and cut it yourself. So you don't worry about them 'running out', because the trees don't come from British Columbia.

The other thing, and I always found this somewhat magical, is that you don't see the tree and the house all decorated until the night before Christmas, which means that the tree is still alive on Christmas and you're not tired of it yet.

The other thing I realized as I grew older was that all of Dad's strings of lights were wired in series, so "one goes out, they all go out". And they were old, so they went out. By not putting up the tree until Christmas Eve, you had the best chance of all the lights still working on Christmas.

However, it is no longer possible to wait much later than about the 15th anymore, or you're down to Charlie Brown Trees.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles