Old 09-13-21, 09:17 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
If the tube is under the bead just right, it can go for quite a while before it pops, at least with butyl tubes. I speak from the sad experience of this happening on the first day of a 1200k, which resulted in me getting way behind. I had changed tires so I would be less likely to get a flat. I am not sure I believe latex are any more prone to this than butyl.
There is no doubt that latex tubes will extrude into some pretty tight spaces. I have never used them in clinchers though. At least there should be some contrast with the tire, a bubble of butyl tube under the bead can be really difficult to see sometimes.

Even though they are very expensive, the urethane tubes looked attractive to me. Then I found out they have a lot of problems, heat for one.
Yep, latex demands caution and thin latex extra caution indeed. As you said they are easy to distinguish from the tire thanks to their bright colors and if you carefully check that the tube isn't pinched between the rim and the tire before inflating then you should be good to go.

An other inconvenience of latex is related with the heat generated by rim brakes. On hard descents friction can produce so much heat that it can lead to a flat aswell. The other option is to go for a lighter butyle tube like a supersonic from Conti.