View Single Post
Old 07-20-21, 08:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't agree with you on kit, That's a perfectly understandable word that covers all cycling gear and equipment that is on the bike other than the bike itself, so it covers clothing, accessories, tools, bottles, etc. That's a lot of work accomplished for a three letter word, and I don't see any reason that the only practical alternative, which is "gear", would be preferable, especially as that may get confused with "gears".

"Price point" is exactly as you describe it, you explained it better than I did. There's a lot of synonyms, like "market segment", "class", etc. It definitely conveys more than the word "price" by itself. It's a perfectly good phrase that is actually useful. It's a way of comparing like products in a segmented market.
This isn't really about cars, but they are good examples of product segmentation or stratification.

The distinctions among Corolla, Camry, Avalon are largely a matter of size. Interior and running gear are largely the same or same architecture, sized up or down to control the weight and power of a bigger or smaller car. Smaller cars are cheaper, and hence more basic in gadgets and experience, but I think "level" more pertinently refers to Toyota versus Lexus, for example Camry versus ES330. Here the Lexus ES has a very similar body-in-white (basic welded body structure), but is equipped with more soundproofing, vibration suppression, adaptive suspension, and various stuff in the interior to improve the task of driving, collision survivability, collision avoidance, comfort and freedom from fatigue. Another example is Chevrolet versus Cadillac (despite the K-car fiasco).

For bikes at least in the C&V world, it would be Raleigh Super Course versus Raleigh International, for example. Interesting that Masi USA only built one product, basically, with some year over year refinements and incremental improvements.

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-20-21 at 08:57 AM.