Old 12-31-21, 10:19 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Yeah. I’ve been trying to use a paint brush to touch up the metallic blue paint on my Nishiki Aero II, and the results are horrendously bad because I can never get all the colors and metal flakes even. I think I have to learn to use spray gun. What air compressor do you need for that?
IMC,
with the air brush, I use an olde tankless model for non metallic...I think its rated at 1/5hp. When shooting with metallic paint and a touch up gun I use my craftsmen with a 1.7 hp motor, The air pressure will vary depending on the consistency of the paint that you are using......When using a nail polish to touch up metallics the metallic particles will not rise/flow because the paint is too thick, the "guns" will give you a better flow-out and control. Practice on the pressure and mixture of the paint, I does take time to master the skill but touch up can be more than satisfactory.

A few tips:
Use a loose masking technique when painting.....meaning do not tape a hard line around the area being painted. I tear a ragged edge of paper and "lift it off of the surface of the frame and paint "over it towards the damaged area using light cotes.
You can also cut/tear a hole in an index card, hold it away from the frame and spray the paint through it. moving the card so that you do not have a hard edge...easier to blend.
Good luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-31-21 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1: