View Single Post
Old 04-12-22, 10:46 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Mafac brakes different lengths?

I am finally reassembling the 1970 Gitane Tour De France That I started last summer. After finding frame damage and getting it repaired I painted it and installed the decals and now am re installing the hardware. The bike originally was spec'd with 27" wheels and Mafac Racer brakes . I am using 27" Mavic rims and 1"Passela tires and when I installed the beautifully polished Mafac Racers they didn't fit. They are too long. They would probably fit using 700 c tires but definately won't using 27's. I happen to have a set of Mafac Competitions and they do fit . I am confused. I have built up quite a few bikes with 27" wheels using Racers. Generally they will fit 700's if you slide the shoes all the way down. I have never encountered a situation where they are too long for the 27's. Did Mafac make Racers with different length arms? Are the Competitions' shorter or did they make them in different lengths also?

The bike is a stunner. I can't wait to get it all finished and post pictures.