View Single Post
Old 04-14-22, 03:32 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Chas, and anyone else who wants to chime in

I consider you the authority on there bikes and I wanted to send you some pictures of the current state of the project and ask your advise .

I have been trying to stay original on this build but not sure about a few details and want your opinion.
I have a pair of half hoods and original levers but the ones I put on the bike look so good I want to keep them. Do you know by chance what they came on originally?
I have a very nice Simplex down tube shifter on the bike. It works great and will keep. I also have 2 delrin piston type Simplex front derailleurs. One has a mint body and rusted cage the other a faded body and mint cage. Alternatively I have a very nice Huret front. Not sure if I should try taking the Simplex units apart to make one "perfect " unit or use the Huret instead. Lastly, I originally fitted some 27" rims and found that the Mafac Racer brakes were too long. I fitted a pair of Mafac Competition's and they work with the 27's. Then I read your post saying the bike would have come originally with 700's . I heaved a sigh and took down my prized 700c Super Champion rims with Campi Hubs and fitted them with new Michelin gum walls. They work with the "Racer" brakes without the hassle finding straddle cables. I also intend on fitting a Crane GS rear derailleur to go with the 14-32 Suntour freewheel (It's hilly around here and I hear the Eroica rides have some long climbs). It looks like I have to tap the dropout for the derailleur mounting bolt. Can you tell me which tap I need. Other than taping the hole is there any other mod I need to make for that derailleur?

Anyway I would welcome your input on some of these choices. When the bike is finished it will be sold by the Silicon Valley bicycle exchange , Hopefully as a package along with the 1969 Gitane mixte I just built up . They are both painted Rustoleum Tuscan Sun and hopefully some fan will Just have to have them.