View Single Post
Old 08-06-22, 05:31 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am very impressed! I do not want to detract from the main topic, but could you briefly comment on adequacy of the gearing for the challenges you obviously faced and on any tools you carried along to cope with possible breakdowns. Thanks.

South Korea's Five Rivers Cycling Path that traverses the country from end to end

Gearing
In Taiwan I had a SRAM Dual Drive with a 11-36t cogset and 47t chainring. Very wide gearing. In the ROK (Republic of Korea) I had just a 11-36t cogset with the same 47t chainring. I shifted into the 36t cog only sporadically but I was carrying less weight. BTW, I am still using that same Litepro crank set with the 47t chainring six years later. Taiwan is more mountainous and steep than the ROK so wider gearing is needed there..

Taiwan's Taroko Gorge is out of this world

Tools
I only carried a multi tool thing, zip ties and tape. Very little in the way of tools.

​​​​​.
Breakdowns
None. No flats either. On tour I swear by Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 42-406 (discontinued but I've got three pairs in reserve). Though I got an annoying creaky saddle midway through the ROK. Both the Dahon Dash and FSIR Spin 5 acquitted themselves very well. If touring is the litmus test of durability and dependability, they passed with flying colors. The FSIR still rides today like it's new.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-06-22 at 05:49 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon: