Old 09-11-22, 02:51 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Night Risk Mitigation for Tesla Autopilot [Limited Scope]

[Limited scope: I want to try something here to see if it can catch on in A&S. I'd like to limit this thread, voluntarily, to ideas about actions that cyclists who have no choice but to ride on the street at night can take to reduce their risk due to this threat. Objective is to make this A&S thread more useful.]

Two Teslas on autopilot have recently plowed into motorcyclists:

Who knows what lights the motorcycles had facing rearward, but here's a random Yamaha.

Both motorcyclists were in HOV lanes on probably pretty big (Yamaha V Star, Harley) motorcycles. The recommendation from the U-tuber is to weave from side to side when a vehicle is approaching from behind at night.

I don't frequent HOV lanes, but I don't have a lot of confidence that the Tesla bug is limited to that situation...

I know in my case I have a triangle of LED red lights running with one blinking, and I have a rear-facing helmet light that I either have on flashing mode (significant traffic) or turn on when I see a vehicle approaching from behind (sparse traffic). Maybe that is a visual that a Tesla autopilot will pick up on.. I sure hope so.

Any other ideas on what I can do to reduce the risk of getting Tesla'd? I've watched a motorist in my area never look up from their lap for a mile and a half, so this isn't some kind of theoretical possibility.