View Single Post
Old 11-11-22, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad2
Hi all, I’m having a bike built up which is a road/gravel/touring bike. Leaning more to the road than anything else though. It will have GRX-800 componentry and I’m getting wheels hand built. The wheel builder contacted me to tell me he can’t get the Shimano (105) hubs that were planned which are centerlock. He has proposed different hubs which are for 6 bolt rotors (Velo Orange). Sounds like the hubs might be better but I’m just concerned about going 6 bolt. Centerlock seems to be the road and gravel standard. I was wondering if it’s something I should be worried about or not? Am I more likely to get disc rub with the 6 bolt ones, or other maintenance issues? I could still get other centerlock hubs but would have to pay more for higher quality hub like White Industries for example. Choices are a little limited though as I’m going 36 hole to keep the touring options open.
Velo Orange hubs? Thats an interesting alternative. Interesting not in a bad way, but in a sorta surprising and quirky way. Are you specifically wanting a silver hub? If so, then I get going with VO.
If you want a black hub, just buy Bitex BX106 hubs that are centerlock and be done. They are less expensive, lighter, and come in multiple colors. In the US, they cost $200 total and weigh 385g. Thats compared to VO disc hubs that cost $258 and weigh 477g.
Bitex BX106 hubs are relatively light, relatively inexpensive, come in many colors, are centerlock, and have shown to be very reliable and popular(for the reasons listed).
Likes For mstateglfr: