View Single Post
Old 11-11-22, 09:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I agree on Bitex value, but I think the problem here is the 36 hole requirement, which limits a lot of options. Pretty sure the Bitax 106 only goes up to 32.
If the OP's wheelbuilder can't get Shimano hubs, the options are pretty narrow.

PWB lists the Velo Orange disc hubs as 270g front/ 370g rear, which would be 620g for the pair. Compare to White Industries CLD which is 444g for the par, but also double the cost ($540). If it were me, I'd go with the White Industries hubs as they are fantastic build quality and will last a lifetime, but also if it were me I wouldn't be building 36 spoke wheels.
Oh, thats in the last sentence even! Yeah I missed that. I actually thought about if the OP wants the listed hubs because they are 36h.
VO's site lists the disc hubs as 160 front and 317 rear, so 477g total. A 270g front hub would be pretty darn heavy, I think.

Well hey Nomad2 , you want 36h then get 36h, but thats a pretty overbuilt wheel for almost any situation. No harm in going overbuilt, but just for what its worth- my disc wheels are 32h front and rear(bitex hubs, go figure) and are laced with double butted spokes to rims that are 25mm wide and 23mm deep. I weigh 215#, my bike weighs 22#, and I have had 30# of gear on it multiple times for extended rides. Thats almost 270# of total weight and I would not think twice to ride those wheels for weeks on end(if only I had the time and determination to do so!).
They wheels have never been touched in 3 years of riding- road, a ton of gravel, some forest singletrack, and some loaded overnights.
If I went with a deeper rim, I would have probably also gone with 28h drilling even.

So its been mentioned, but Shimano GRX hubs come in 36h. RS770.
Best of luck on finding an option that is a happy mix of price and wants. From what I have read over the last couple years, Australia has some frustrating pricing that makes some products out of a price range compared to the same products in other countries. Dave Rome with CyclingTips has also talked about it off and on thru the years as he is located down there.