Old 09-02-22, 06:05 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 273 Posts
My doubly-blind anecdotal non-scientific real world testing indicates that I am much more likely to cramp and feel like crap after long rides when I don't use electrolytes. Ultima works well for me. I find that most electrolyte mixes contain either 1. too high a ratio of salt 2. not enough potassium 3. little or no magnesium or 4. some combination of 1-3.

I have found the best results personally when the potassium to salt (sodium) ratio is at least 2-3 to 1, and magnesium of at least 45 mg per serving. Again, everyone is different, so it may pay to experiment as well as research the subject at CREDIBLE sources. You can find hundreds or thousands of electrolyte "answers" on the internet, but it's doubtful that more than 25% to 30% really know what they're talking about. Manufacturers, sellers and 'associates' are the least credible sources, except for the true whackos - of which there are more than a few!

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Some of the rider reports here are about how they used to have cramps, but don't anymore. Is it the drink mix, or just better fitness after riding for years? We need a double blind study!