View Single Post
Old 05-19-22, 10:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
A salesman at a LBS thought there might be more 27" tire varieties in the future, but I think he was just speculating.
There is approximately ZERO chance of this happening, unless he was referring to their shop having one style today and that they might have two or three styles later in the summer. 27" is an obsolete size and manufacturers are not putting any effort into making new styles beyond what is already available.

All that being said, there are excellent tires available, but they are almost all 27X1-1/4 (approx. 32mm) 0r 1-3/8 (35mm) or narrower.

However, I am a bigger person and I have been using 700x35mm tires for some very demanding riding for many years. Perhaps you need to bring up your tire pressure to deal with whatever obstacles you encounter.

Another option is to switch your rims to the modern standard 700C size, for which there are hundreds of tire choices, and which will give you a couple mm more space for wider tires in your frame and fork. THe swap is relatively easy if your brake pads have room to adjust 4mm down from where they are now. This suggestion might be heresy for vintage bicycle purists (because your bike originally came with 27" wheels, not because 700C wheels wouldn't have been available when the bike was made) but it makes a lot of sense for a bike you are willing to put some effort into and that is destined to be ridden daily and not intended as a showpiece in a collection.