Old 02-14-23, 11:06 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If my recollection is correct, you bought a special phone for touring. I am sure you know that the frequencies in Europe can be different than North America, just a reminder to check to see if your phone will work or not.

My phone will not work with UK frequencies, I was considering buying a cheap Android phone with UK frequencies when I was thinking of doing LEJOG. My previous foreign trips, I relied on wifi for my phone, but would like to get weather forecasts anytime I want.
If you've got a smart phone you can buy a UK SIM and install that. A good company is GiffGaff as they will send you the SIM in the mail so you have it as soon as you arrive in the UK. The difficulty with this is that
you don't have your usual mobile number which will be a pain for people trying to contact you and if you get 2 factor authentication via text. So take a look at your local phone/data provider and they will have an international plan. These are not cheap, but they are getting cheaper and they are convenient. FYI AT&T in the US has an international plan that lets you use your regular plan overseas for $10/day with a cap of $100/month. So for a 6 week trip something like that might be ok. A GiffGaff unlimited data plans cost about $50/month, but is not as convenient.