Old 01-02-22, 01:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Design Classics - a Cycling Plus magazine column

Many years ago, the British magazine Cycling Plus ran a column called "Design Classics". It was written by Hilary Stone, and discussed various bikes, brands, innovations, etc. from the years gone by. I found them to be quite interesting and saved the columns and later scanned them.

Mr SpeedofLight has been doing a good job of sharing old issues of Bicycling magazine, so I thought I might do the same with the Design Classics columns. I'd like to try changing the format somewhat, and intend to post the columns sequentially in a single thread. This will keep them all grouped, making it easier for readers to browse through them. If there is a problem with this method, please let me know.

With that introduction, let me post two columns about some very early cycles.

Steve in Peoria

edit: quick description.... 1885 Rover Safety bicycle. This is an early safety bicycle, i.e. not a high wheel Ordinary that cause a great fall. The front wheel is still larger than the rear, and uses solid tires instead of pneumatic

edit: quick description.... 1930's era bike built by Maurice Selbach after completing his racing career.

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 01-07-22 at 08:16 AM.