Old 02-01-22, 11:34 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I imagine that the Campy Record brakeset will feature in one of those columns. I remember clearly how shocked we were when one of the local racers casually rolled up with a set of those as part of the complete Campy group on his brand new Atala. Sidepulls! All the pro-level road bikes of the time used centerpull Universals or Weinmanns or Mafacs, so we had taken it for granted that sidepulls were beneath contempt. Cognitive dissonance!
I hate to spoil the excitement of waiting to find out what is still to come, but... no.... there is no article on the Campy sidepull brakes.
The quick release mechanism was quite nice, and the levers were a step up from the basic Weinmanns that I know and tolerate, but were the brakes themselves really great? Especially compared to the premium paid when they replaced the more pedestrian Weinmanns or Mafacs? Didn't Schwinn charge an extra couple hundred dollars for that option on the Paramount? (although I could be imagining that).

There are articles on the GB (Gerry Burgess) sidepulls and the Mafac Racer centerpulls, as well as an article on Campy Record pedals, in the future. All in all, to do more articles on Campagnolo might have been a bit too preferential towards them. If it were up to me, I think that the Campy two-bolt seatpost might be worth an article. It was one of the first to offer the ability to really fine tune the tilt.

Steve in Peoria