Old 05-15-22, 04:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I feel like I have spent enough time with this bike so effectively summarize my relationship with it as a whole, and explain more in depth what it is like to ride this machine.

This bike is classified as a machine for "casual racers." I don't see what would set this bike apart from a true hardtail race machine, other than the rider. One review called this bike "a runaway freight train on singletrack, - an effective way to describe this bikes traits indeed. It rolls very quickly over most terrain, with very little acceleration or brake usage required to move at a quick pace, in a straight line or around turns. While side to side cornering is obviously optimized for performance, it's difficult not to not this frames stability. I have to actively remind myself to be more careful with what sort of terrain I try to tackle when switching back to my rigid gravel bike . The frame is absurdly stiff with almost zero compliance . Even vibrations and resonance aren't catered to much with this frame. Clearly the engineers did not have comfort in mind for this bike. But the riding position doesn't detract much from relative long distance riding.

It's designed for a pretty aggressive riding position, with a steep handlebar drop and a stretched out feel over the handlebars to really make the most of the short chainstays and long top tube. The 29" wheels do a brilliant job at maintaining stability over almost anything, with the suspension fork imperceptibly stepping in when needed.

The drivetrain is a 2x11. Overall I like it, even when compared to by 1x11 gravel bike, for the wider gear range which helps the rear cassette feel relatively 'close ratio.' 26x42 on the low end gives you wicked hill climbing gear inches which can essentially only be taken advantage of if your riding position is aggressive enough . On the other hand, this beast will rip 36x11 quite easily on even a slight downhill. I find myself a little too caught up with maintaining chainline and avoiding gear overlap when really thrashing, in comparison to 1x.

The handling is fluid with an approachable, highly exhilarating tendency to oversteer when correctly balanced. The bike is still great fun; a pleasure to ride with excellent feedback and responsive handling even if you are not pushing towards its lofty limits .

Start to approach them, and you'll wonder where or when exactly you will reach the threshold. The bike makes you feel like a superhero to the point where I can't help but feel genuinely scared of the thing. The frame maintains a supreme balance between rider feedback, stability and outright agility throughout a wide variety of trail conditions and riding styles.
​​​

Last edited by Moisture; 05-15-22 at 04:18 PM.