USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I realized I am going to fail again to meet the deadline. Life happens. At least retirement SHOULD make my summer freeeeee next year.

I still intend on finishing 100km for this one and last year's two if it kills me.

Who knows, maybe I will find the gumption to finish...

Thanks for the reminder. Turns out that I'm likely NOT going to complete adding the "Bumblebee" stencil to the rear fender, so I should summarize before the deadline passes. It would have been a great touch, but this is a "new trick" for me - which would mean a bunch of trial and error where I can't justify spending the time given to my wife's return from a seven-month caregiving mission and a whole new priority list.

Original bicycle: $76.50
Wheels, brake and cable & guides from a 1970-ish Raleigh Sports $20.00
Scrap metal rebate for the stripped frame (which I couldn't give away) -$3.50
Tires: $9.90
Fender stay braces fabricated from steel sheeting: $0.90
Fender stay connectors: $0.35
Washer/front brake stop: $0.59
Brake adjuster barrel (one from a lot of 50) $0.14
Fenders, grip shifter, saddles shift indicator chain and anchor: $0.00
Labor and ingenuity: $0.00
Total $105.88

Bumblebee was ridden a total of 101 miles and change. I genuinely enjoyed the challenges posed by taking a 75+ year old bicycle that originally came as a single-speed coaster brake run-about, upgrading it to a 3-speed with a front brake, and adding a bit of pizzazz by giving it accenting mud guards. Once again - huge thanks to cudak88 for several of the items that were crucial to making this feasible.

and the image that most resonates with me from the entire endeavor: