View Single Post
Old 11-21-22, 01:24 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Care to expand?

A bicycle helmet is designed for cycling and the impacts one could get while cycling a ski helmet is designed for the impacts one could get while skiing. While yes it is likely that a ski helmet could provide some similar protection it may not be rated to the same standards and also potentially with the added material especially around the ear it could be harder to hear traffic but I am not a skier and have really only done it once so I don't have much time in a ski helmet.

My regular cycling helmet with a balaclava underneath and maybe a windproof cover on the outside usually is enough for most stuff.
I disagree that ski impacts are less than cycling. Also - I ride down well below -20C, down into the ranges where C and F are pretty much the same. Wearing enough to be warm underneath a helmet just isn't comfortable, and probably not effective at all in a crash (yes, I use a helmet cover in the shoulder seasons). I wear a poly balaclava, but before I got the Bollé ski helmet I'd sometimes go without the bike helmet to wear a second balaclava and touque to be warm enough.

I really think that something like Ski helmets are a great solution - as other people mentioned, winter biking specific helmets have been few and far between, and typically expensive. Ski helmets, at least here, are readily available.