View Single Post
Old 06-09-20, 07:58 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I know you know your stuff, but isn't that a little unfair?
Not really. PowerShift levers have mechanics unlike all other Campagnolo levers since 1992 not using the much maligned Escape mechanism introduced on Xenon in 2004 then Veloce and below for 2007-2008. People had durability problems with both Escape (IIRC, they had plastic parts in the escapement mechanism) and pre-2015 PowerShift.

I don't know what they did to the internals for 2015 and beyond.

I thought the 11sp Athena stuff had a pretty big following because of it's shiny silver old-school good looks?
Yes.

And wasn't it Ultra Shift at one point, with only Centaur and Veloce being Power Shift?
2009-2010 Veloce and above were all UltraShift. Centaur Carbon was identical to Chorus and Record except for 10 speed index cam/front ratchet and no Record brake blade cutouts which didn't drop the weight from 337g. Super Record was identical to Record except the rear ratchets saved 7g a pair, the brake blades got a third cutout, and a carbon fiber sticker was affixed to the shift paddle. Veloce was identical but had black alloy brake levers adding 21g. Athena and Centaur alloy were identical to the others except for silver alloy front shift paddles and brake levers.

Historically, some Chorus was Record with a different group name printed on the parts or small part like the skewer nut although the 2009-2010 lack of differentiation went a bit far for business.

The first 10 speed units had weak index cam detents which were corrected as a running change. Bushings were also replaced by bearings.

I bought NOS 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultrashift levers before the supply dried up. I also grabbed a set of NOS 2010 Veloce levers for spares with a net price of about $50 after subtracting the hoods and cables which I'd use eventually.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-09-20 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: