Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,310 Times in 1,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Call me crazy, but for sure I wouldn't roll out of the house on a tire which looked as if it were about to lose a sizeable chunk of its tread
You wouldn't be crazy but I may be for riding them.

I've actually only been riding them for spins around the neighborhood and gently down a local path for coffee. I did ride them 25 miles today but not more than about 5 miles from the house and again at a casual enough speed.

I bought the bike, a Takara bike boom survivor, back in February and at the time didn't prioritize getting tires for it and there seemed to be what I wanted in stock several places. When I decided to start an overhaul on it all the 1-1/8 skin-walls were gone. I finally found two of the Paselas last week. I don't like the looks of the tread on the Paselas and would have rather had a raised center like the bike was probably born with, but they seem to get good enough reviews and will let me safely take the bike out for longer rides on the back roads.

I'm sure the person that replaced the original tires with the Schwinns back in the middle to late 80s had no idea some maniac would still be riding them today.

Likes For Chuck M: