View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 07:22 AM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
There is nothing wrong with Weinmann Vainqueur 999 centerpull brakes, which I have on all of my road bikes except the Bianchi. Its Campagnolo sidepulls are OK, but underserving of hype and adulation. Besides, I think centerpulls simply look right with fancy lugs and high flange hubs.

The biggest benefit of a frame that accommodates Weinmann centerpulls is that the increased tire clearance affords you a lot of flexibility in choice of rims and rubber. With the Bianchi, I am locked in to 700C x 26mm (actual size) tires -- my 700Cx28 Continentals fit the bill because they run slightly small, but 700Cx28 Specialized, which run large, would not.
I am right with you on the Weinmanns. I am from a vintage when these really were thought to be superior in terms of their stopping mechanics. I have a few sets of these around but they are all 610s. In test fitting for 700c sewups, I have noticed that I do need a 750 on the back, which is alright with me. One question I do have though - all of my Weinmanns are branded as such, and not "Schwinn Approved." By 1971 was Schwinn using Weinmann branded centerpulls?

On a related topic, here are the rims I plan to use, which are "Schwinn Approved 330" aka Weinmann tubulars...

Likes For 75lechamp: