Old 07-17-21, 12:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardsmarkf
ok thank you all - ok maybe i am the first stubborn guy around to get an idea "stuck" in my head....

but definitely now either the stem shifters or bar-end shifters are the way to go.

so, if i ever want to fulfill my dream of shifting at the brakes, it sounds as if the best option there is a new bike.

i am OK doing some minor modifications, but i really dont have the proper tools or patience to do much else.

side-note: the Peugeot gooseneck broke off in 1994 since i had the handlebars set too high. that summer my wife and i were traveling to Normandy for the 50 year anniversary of the d-day landing. i took the broken gooseneck with me and bought the replacement one there. and i had LOTS of fun trying to get that through airport security on the way back! airport security did not understand what it was, so i had to draw them a picture of a bike.
Fun story. You can set up the bike to shift at the brakes.

https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/

There are other solutions but this is one. Looks to be out of stock.

Shimano makes 2 x 7 brifters that you can track down. There are Shimano clone brifters as well. You'll need a shimano compatible 7 speed freewheel and a shimano rear derailleur (or a RD compatible with shimano indexing).

Last edited by bikemig; 07-17-21 at 01:11 PM.