View Single Post
Old 03-22-22, 10:04 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So how many rides do you have behind you? For what total distance?

As you do more you get better. It's way too easy to overexert yourself when you are just starting out as not all of your body is in the right shape to handle what the rest of your body is throwing at it. So take it easier and don't quit.

Also, ask a doctor about anything that concerns you to make sure it's not some red flag for serious health related issue. But as Calsun said, doctors don't always know the particulars of how to discuss sports related issues with their patients. I never got a realistic answer about exercising at very high heart rates until I got a heart doctor. All the others just gave oblique answers.
It was only my second ride out for the year. I think the last time out was on a pretty level bike path last summer. Prior to that it was 3 years ago when I lived in a much flatter area.
So yeah, I may just be expecting too much after such a long off-period. I have been to a heart dioctor a couple times in the last 10 years and each time was given a clean bill of health and ok for the fitness program I was doing at the time.